Category: Health
Title: Putting up with pain
Content:
Dentists think that women can put up with more pain than men. Michael Hines is a dentist and says, "Women are more aware of what pain is than a man." Men do not seem to expect any pain and are surprised when the drilling hurts.
Pain researchers think that men don't prepare for pain. A dental patient says, "I think men just try to fight the pain head-on"
There is the pain only a mother can know. Stephanie Young says, "I thought to myself when I had a child, my husband could never go through this"
Bruce was working out at the gym when he said, "I think it's a big cover-up, men grunt and groan and scream at a gym more than women do. Women are much more stoic"
Some people wonder how pain tolerance is figured out. One weight lifter said, "How do you measure how much you do show as compared to someone else?"
And how about for those who've lived through years of pain. John says, "I think women endure pain better than men do but complain more often about it."
One man says he complained to his wife for years about his stomach problems. What about her ability to cope with pain? He says, "She can take it. I don't know how she can take it. When she goes to the dentist, she has nothing."
In the end, we all have to grin and bear it.
(Abridged Story)
From a news story by CNN San Francisco Reporter Rusty Dornin4/8/98
http://literacynet.org/cnnsf/pain/storyweek.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts:
It is an interesting news I saw in NCC Interactive.
When the question “which kind of people can stand for pain better, men or women?” is referred, I think most of people won’t deny the answer— women do suffer more pain than men.
I did think this question seriously before and I think that women usually have a bigger burden than men is a fact. I believe this picture often occurs in everyone’s family-after dinner, the one who still has to work and keeps doing housework until the night is mother in this home. Most of men can read newspaper leisurely after dinner and hold a just reason of getting a tired mood from the hard daily work so they “should” take a great rest right now.
I think that’s why women always have the similar “problem” criticized. Most of men are fed up with their wives’ complaint, but the real reason for women’s blabber may be the workload they need to do. If you have a life always rushing for almost every thing of home sometimes even for career at the same time, then maybe you will have the same “habit” with women- rattling on every single thing in the whole time.
So after the long time women keep supporting the huge work, most women may put up with pain better than men. They will think more about a thing and sometimes with a worst thought of it. Just like the dentist referred” men don't prepare for pain” but women may do this thought more than men do. But I don’t mean to scold men for their lack of paying responsibilities to the family, what I really want to express is : no matter what level of pain you can endure, if men and women can find a way of balance, the life of family would be much more better then. Isn’t it a good way to think?
沒有留言:
張貼留言